It’s Groundhog Day!

Happy Groundhog Day!

Today, in the spirit of Groundhog Day, I am honoring Punxsutawney Phyllis, the plucky and determined heroine from author Susanna Leonard Hill’s picture book, Punxsutawney Phyllis“!

Punxsutawney Phyllis is the niece of the famous Punxsutawney Phil. She knows she has the right stuff to succeed her famous, weather-predicting Uncle. However her family doubts her abilities. Can Phyllis predict the weather correctly and have a chance to be the next in line to be the famous Punxsutawney Groundhog? You’ll have to check out the book to find out! :-)

Today on Susanna’s website, she is inviting people from around the world to print out the drawing of Phyllis that she has provided, color it, and photograph it so everyone can see what Groundhog Day looks like in their neck of the woods!

As you can see from the photo above, my neck of the woods is filled with snow. I woke up this morning to a blizzard. “Oh great”, I grumbled. After downing some coffee and shoveling the porch and driveway, I proceeded to my computer where I printed out my picture of Phyllis (I cheated, I used Photoshop to color her!) so I could photograph her outdoors.

That was a little adventure in itself; as I placed my picture of Phyllis on a small incline by some bushes in my backyard. She tipped over a bit, the wind blew snow in my face, and I dropped my little digital camera-TWICE- in the snow. But it ended up being worth it as I am happy with the picture of my own little personal Phyllis predicting the weather for Southeastern Michigan! Today it is a sweltering 19 degrees, with flurries expected. it appears that poor Phyllis is not dressed for the weather here; I could at least have given her my scarf!

As she did NOT see her shadow, she has predicted an early spring! Of course, that’s a little hard to believe right now as the snow is falling!

Wishing everyone a Happy Groundhog Day, and may there be an early Spring in your neck of the woods! :-)

24 Comments

1. Julie Rowan-Zoch February 2, 2013 at 11:59 am #

Lovely lack of shadows!

• Dana Atnip February 2, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

Hi Julie! Yes, no shadows means an early spring! Hopefully there are also no shadows where you are! :-)

2. Beth Rayner February 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Adorable! Thanks, Dana!

• Dana Atnip February 2, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

Thank you Beth! Happy Groundhog Day! :D

3. Susanna Leonard Hill February 2, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

Phyllis looks GORGEOUS in Michigan, Dana! :) And what an excellent job of weather predicting! Thank you for bravely sallying forth into the snowy 19 degrees to bring us Phyllis’s prediction from your neck of the woods :)

4. Dana Atnip February 2, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

Thank you Susanna, and you’re welcome! I did enjoy photographing Phyllis, even in the snow! Happy Groundhog Day! :-)

5. Vivian Kirkfield February 2, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

Hello Dana,
    Awesome picture! Using photoshop to color in Phyllis was genius.:) It does look pretty cold there…we had lots of sun…but now that the sun has gone down, it’s getting pretty chilly.
    By the way, your RYS logo rocks!

• Dana Atnip February 2, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

Hello Vivian! Thank you so much for your kind remarks! Thank you too for saying using PS to color was genius; I felt I was cheating! :-)
      I’m glad that you like the RYS logo too, & I’m glad you had some sunshine today. We just had snow!

6. Romelle Broas February 2, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

I was going to say, Dana, that Phyllis looks so good! Love how you used photoshop to color her. Looks like your mishaps was all worth the picture.

7. Dana Atnip February 2, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

Hi Romelle! Yes, it was worth it, & a lot of fun! Thank you for your comment! :-)

8. Lauri Meyers February 3, 2013 at 12:15 am #

Phyllis is looking glossy and fine! I love the pink cheeks – it’s like she’s smiling through the pain of freezing her keester off.

• Dana Atnip February 4, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

Hi Lauri! Thank you for the kind compliment! And Phyllis wasn’t the only one freeing her keester off, lol! I’m very ready for spring to arrive! :-)

9. ThisKidReviewsBooks February 3, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

WOW! You have awesome photoshop skills! I love your Phyllis! :)

• Dana Atnip February 3, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

Thank you so much ThisKidReviewsBooks! :-)

10. Heather February 3, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

And a lovely Photoshop coloring job it is, too! I am terribly jealous of your blizzard, Dana.

• Dana Atnip February 3, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

Hi Heather, thank you! I’d be happy to donate our current blizzard to you, lol! :-)

11. Pamela Courtney February 4, 2013 at 11:34 am #

Love this scene. She’s some gal to be out in that snow without her mittens. But I guess groundhogs don’t need extra winter outerwear, do they? Good job.

• Dana Atnip February 4, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

Thank you, Pam! Yes, Phyllis is a tough little groundhog. The elements don’t bother her much! ;-)

12. Alayne Kay Christian February 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

I love your picture and your post. I was wondering how you did such a nice job on the coloring. Thanks for sharing your coloring secret. The wind gave me and Phyllis a hard time, too. Fortunately for us, the weather was a little more enjoyable. I’m glad it all worked out in the end for you.

• Dana Atnip February 4, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

Hi Alayne, thank you! I’ve had a lot of nice compliments in regards to how I colored Phyllis; and here I thought people would judge me for using PS! I’m glad that you had more enjoyable weather for groundhog day! :-)

13. Teresa Robeson February 6, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

I see Phyllis got some nice rosy cheeks from being out in your blizzard! ;)

14. Dana Atnip February 8, 2013 at 11:09 am #

Hi Teresa! Yes, those cold days sure make for rosy cheeks! :-)

15. Tracy Campbell February 11, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

Hi Dana
    You did a marvelous job painting Phyllis! :-)
    Tracy